Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Orphan Train Post- Reading




  I am choosing to write my post reading about the quote,  " I learned long ago that loss is not only probable but inevitable." I think that this is a very powerful and true statement. It also relates very well to the book Orphan Train.
  The first examples  that I want to give are related to the book, as well as Molly and Vivian's lives. Vivian is a ninety one year old who Molly (a teenager who was put into a foster home when she was very young) is helping clean out her attic so that she can stay out of jail. When Vivian was a little girl, a fire killed the rest of her family, fortunately she was able to be saved. At this time Vivian was put into a foster home and later moved between families. Sometimes she had a good family and other times she had a cruel family just like Molly's former family. The same exact thing happened to Molly, her father died and her mother turned to drugs to fix her problems. This resulted in Molly being orphaned.  Her former family ( Dina and Ralph) were not such a good family. Her mom Dina only kept her because she got money from the government each month for parenting an orphan.  Another big loss that they both had to face was losing their birth parents. This would be so hard for me to lose my parents, I can't imagine the pain that they faced during this. Another example is when Vivian's first husband died at war and she put her newborn baby up for adoption. She voluntarily put her baby up for adoption but, her husband's death forced her to do this. There are many more examples in this book, but these were the ones that stuck out to me most.
  Loss is also inevitable in real life, not just in stories. We lose family members and friends all the time. I'm not saying that this is a good thing or something we should hope for, but it happens... It's inevitable. I've been through it, everyone has. Everybody loses friends because of disagreements or arguments, and even if it hasn't happened yet, everyone will lose someone special to them. That person could be a friend, a family member, a teacher, a coach, etc.
  So, loss is inevitable and it's going to happen to all of us. We have to learn to deal with these losses somehow. I think this was a great book and it definitely portrayed many great real life references. I enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more from this author.

































































1 comment:

  1. Terrific response Braylee! You explained the quote flawlessly and gave a wonderful amount of examples of loss in the novel. While sad, I agree, loss is inevitable. Grade: 100%

    ReplyDelete